Vegan Newbie First Week

This blog will highlight my experiences on becoming a vegan. I will share the text version first which you are welcome to read. The video version will be posted below.

The back story:

I used to be a vegetarian, but then started experiencing some physical concerns. I sought out a nutritionist. The nutritionist wanted me to add meat back into my diet. I wasn't a fan of that, but wanted to improve my health.

I started incorporating chicken and seafood back into my diet.

At some point, the nutritionist had me to start writing down how my body felt. What I noticed was that my body felt much better after eating salads with fresh veggies or salads with fresh fruit, without any meat. I felt more energized and alive, and not sluggish. I decided that this was how I wanted to go; this was more of who I really am.

On October 28, 2023, I decided to become a vegan; I would also stop eating the cheese and eggs that I had included in my diet as a vegetarian.

The nutritionist had other ideas, and we parted ways.

The first week:

For the first few days, I felt hungry relatively soon after eating breakfast. Once I added more satieating foods into my oatmeal, such as hemp hearts or ground flax seeds, and used plant based milk in lieu of water in making the oatmeal, I felt fuller and went longer between breakfast and lunch. I was already adding various fruit and nuts to my oatmeal.

I watched a lot of videos about vegans and learned some things. Some people (which included doctors), recommended going in completely from the start. Others said to take your time. One could eat a vegan breakfast for the first week, then add vegan lunches the second week, then ultimately add in vegan dinners the third week. There was no one perfect way, just a matter of preference.

My body functions changed that first week. Whereas I used to have a bowel movment every two to three days, I then progressed to having them two to three times in one day. Wow, was I regular. That was something that I had wanted, but probably not so frequently. I was getting a lot more soluable fiber though.

I am continuing to learn as I got into my second week, and will share about that next week.

I also have an Instant Pot on my Christmas wish list, so will share some vegan based cooking experiences with that after the Christmas holiday.

Are you a vegan? Do you have any tips to share?

Are you wanting to become a vegan? What do you hope to achieve?

Thank you in advance for your comments. We can help each other.

For those who are more visual and or auditory, here is the video highlighting similar information.



Have a blessed day.

Cheryl Paton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegan Newbie First Four Weeks